VP of Advocacy/Legislative Chair Position Description
The PTA advocacy position has three levels. Pick from the array of menu options below, according to your skill set and the needs of your PTA.
- Speak at every PTA meeting! Request advocacy to be placed on every meeting agenda and give a brief advocacy report, hand out materials
- Communications. Write articles for your PTA newsletter; establish a method to share CA PTA and Sixth District PTA Legislative Alerts
- Attend some school board meetings
- Maintain contact with local elected officials. Meet with them once a year.
- Train your members to be advocates
- Communications: letters to local newspapers
- Encourage members to attend meetings with state and local officials
- Attend the annual PTA Legislation Conference in Sacramento
- Meet with other groups, organizations about important issues
- Organize a voter registration drive
- Host a presentation on advocacy issues
- Invite the press to advocacy events
- Author a resolution on an advocacy concern