PTA is political, but never partisan. Why? We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. What does that mean?
As a non-partisan organization:
- Issues. PTA take positions (supports or opposes) issues affecting children and youth.
- Legislation, ballot measures, school district policies. PTA endorses or opposes legislation, ballot measures and school district policies.
- Candidates. PTA does not support or oppose candidates.
PTA advocacy “dos and don’ts” – using your PTA title:
Using your PTA title, you may campaign for PTA supported ballot measures and legislation
Using your PTA title, you may not
- Campaign for any candidate, including candidates running for non-partisan office
- Invite one candidate to speak
- Wear a candidate’s campaign material, or distribute a candidate’s material at a PTA event
As as individual, PTA leaders and members may:
- Campaign for candidates,
- But not at a PTA event, and
- Not using your PTA title